Thursday, August 30, 2012

Graceling

Guys.

I read an awesome book called Graceling. It's by Kristin Cashore. Loved it. Have you ever wanted a special power. Something you could do special that other people couldn't. What would you want? A gift that gives you power?  A gift that gives you strength? A gift that makes you known? A gift that makes you feared by all? Are you willing to pay the price? Do you want to be marked for it? Is it worth it? You don't get to choose your gift; you don't get to choose to have a gift or not.

To sum it all up: Some people are born with a gift, a grace. If you are your eyes will change to two different colors. As soon as you eyes change you are sent to the palace to find out what your gift is. If you grace is useful to the King, you stay. If your grace is not, you get sent home. Everybody avoids the graced they're different and sometimes scary. If a family has a graced child set home, it normally does them no good. It's a gift and a curse to some.

Katsa was born graced. Her one eye is the color of the blue sky and her other eye is the color of the grass. She accidentally killed her relative at a young age. They determined her grace was killing. The king decided he liked that and as soon as she mastered her grace, she became his personal thug. You didn't pay you dues? The king will send deadly Katsa after you to torture or kill. Katsa is used to everyone avoiding her and not making eye contact. She's different from all other girls. Katsa never wants to get married and never wants to have kids; she has no interest in making herself pretty and attracting a husband.

One day everything in her life changes, starting with the graced fighter making eye contact. She notices his one gold and one silver eye, he stands out. He's also the prince of Lienid named Po. Po is a pretty good match for Katsa in fighting and is willing to stand up to her. He is searching for his grandfather who was kidnapped. Katsa plans on helping him find out who did it. They also need to save Princess Bitterblue.

As they go along Katsa starts to think that Po is a little off. He practically has eyes in the back of his head and can anticipate her almost every move. Maybe his grace isn't all he says it is. Po also starts to think about Katsa's grace. She's a little bit more special than just a killer, is it possible she's been lied to about her grace?

What I thought: Awesome. I'm all about fighting and survival and mystery. Katsa is one of the coolest heroines ever. I tried to figure out who kidnapped Po's grandfather along with the two. I couldn't figure out why Katsa was so tough. I didn't understand how ten-year-old Bitterblue was so independent. I couldn't wait to read more.

Genre: Dystopian (futuristic)

Setting: The seven kingdoms: Lienid, Monsea, Estil, Sunder, Nander, Wester, and Middluns. (You'll understand more when you read it.) I don't know how else to esplain how it takes place, sorry.

# of Pages: 480 but it's totally worth it.

Who's it for: I'm not sure, it's young adult so whatever that means.

Warnings: Zero. Zip. Nada. I don't think....

Other books with it: Fire is the prequel, Bitterblue is a follow-up

My Star Rating: 4.5 stars (Please remember I rank things higher than average critique.)

Read it! Read it! Read it! It's great, at least give it a chance.
That's all for tonight. Thanks y'all.
Love and killers,
~AJ

Bible Verse: Phil. 4:13- "I can do all things though him (Christ Jesus) who gives me strength."
Words to live by.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting. Slightly like the Unwanteds (do I really need to keep referencing that? Stop it, Seana!) with the whole idea of if-we-can't-use-you-we-either-a.-kill-you-or-b.-send-you-home. Next time I'm at the library, I'll pick it up.

    A book I think ya'll should read is the Magyk series by Angie Sage. I adore those books, and she's not done writing them, of which I am most happy.

    Ciao,
    <3 Seana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seana,
      I'm glad you'll read it. I have noticed you reference the Unwanteds a lot. Do you really like that book? What is the MAgyk series about and what's book one called?
      Thanks
      ~AJ

      Delete
    2. It's not that I really like that book, it's just that I find so many plots that are similar to it. The Magyk series is quite hard to summarize....you'd have better luck looking up a summary on the internet. But book one is called Magyk.

      Delete
    3. Seana,
      I've read it too, it kinda has a plot that a lot of other books have, but it's a totally unique story. I'll read Magyk when I can get my hands on it, thanks for that.
      ~AJ

      Delete
  2. Hey guys! I nominated your blog for the Top Blog Award a while ago but I'm just now getting around to notifying you! Congrats and enjoy! Here's the link to it
    http://julyaemmance.blogspot.com/2012/07/top-blog-award.html
    July
    Also are you up for a guest post once a week now that school has started?

    ReplyDelete