Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ashes, Ashes

Ring around the rosie
A pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down

Depressing when you know the meaning of it, right? Oh, some of you don't know the meaning of it? Um.... You could look it up. It's about the Black Plague. 

Now, onto why my review is actually called Ashes, Ashes.

It's a great book I read by Jo Treggiari. I loved it, here's my review;

Book Cover
To sum it all up: The end of the world has come and gone to Lucy. Epidemics, droughts, floods, she's seen and lived through it all. Though, 99% of the world's population hasn't. All of her family is gone, she lives alone in a willow fort she constructed in the wilds of Central Park. She had always stood out at school, at home, anywhere. Now, she's the only one who she need knew who survived. Sweepers continue to take away plague victims.

One day out for water the hunting dogs start to chase Lucy, she runs and is rescued by a boy named Aidan. It's the first person she's seen in over a year, minus maybe some of the S'ans. Aidan tells her about Hell Gate, the place where he lives with other survivors. She realizes that she can't live on her own, she needs them.

When she meets with them new dangers await. The Sweepers are after her. There's something special about her and they will stop at nothing to have her in their hands. She always knew she was different but as she starts to find out, she shouldn't be alive.

What I thought: I really liked it. Before I read it I knew there was something special about her, I couldn't what to find out. I kept reading, couldn't put it down. I kept guessing at what was going to happen next. I couldn't believe what happened to Del and what she did. You meet a lot of unique characters and they're all fun. I hope you read it.

Genre: Dystopian (futuristic)

Setting: New York. The polar ice caps melted and the oceans flooded so much of the coastal land. NYC is now a collection of islands and suspension bridges. Central Park is practically a forest. What's left of the roads are mainly cracked and collapsed. The land close the ocean is swampy wetlands. It's crazy to think about.

Number of pages: Not sure, probably between 300 and 400

Who's it for: Middle School, Young Adult

Warnings: None

My Star Rating: 5 stars

If you liked the Hunger Games you'll like this one. Hope you read it.
Love and tsunamis, (read the book)
~AJ

2 comments:

  1. Five stars, eh? *raises eyebrows* Well I suppose I ought to give this one a look-see. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. I might have a tendency to rank a little higher than the average persona, but hey it was good. Maybe between 4.5 and 5. Though I would read it if I were you or at least try it out.
      ~AJ

      Delete