Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pencils Cont.

Hey Guys,

Thanks to Carter's brilliant idea of looking up names, (I do realize that some of you out there thought of that too, so you as well as Carter are pretty smart, unlike me) I found some really fun ones. So here they are:

Quinn: sporty, musical, crazy, tomboy, and nature-lover
Instead of Quinn, she'll be Jinx short for ???

Marisol: girly, rich kid, snobby, and shopaholic
Instead of Marisol, she'll be Sapphira.

Grace: nerdy, book-lover, super genius, and shy
Instead of Grace, she'll be Leyna.
Scarlet: wild-child, art geek, artist, and outdoorsy.
Instead of Scarlet, she'll be Nadia.

What do you think? Good? Bad? In between? Perfect? I think they're almost perfect, here's why:

Jinx is kinda unique, crazy name and her character is crazy as well. Also have you ever heard someone say something like You'll jinx it if you do that? Well, she's kinda a klutz too, so I think it's good. 

Sapphira is kinda like sapphire and since she's a girly-girl she's gotta like gems, right?

Leyna is a name that sounds like it belongs to a calm person and she is calm and shy. (BTW- it's pronounced like Laina, I think.)

Nadia's character is a wild-child, outdoorsy artist. Nadia is the name of water nymph, so I thought it worked.

So, that's why I like those names. Again tell me what you think. Also, I'm gonna have Jinx as a nickname so I need something for it to be short for. I was thinking Jeniveve, but I don't know if I like that. I would like some ideas.

I think that's all for today. One last thing though. The Olympics start tomorrow! Yes! I absolutely love watching them, it's so cool. What are your favorite sports to watch in the Summer Olympics? I like the swimming, gymnastics, diving, beach volleyball, and well, lots of the other sports too.

Bye-bye.
Love and Olympics,
~AJ

8 comments:

  1. I love the names that you and Carter have come up with! But here's my two cents:
    Jinx should not be short for Jenevieve, because the name Jenevieve sounds much too gentle and serene to go with her personality. Perhaps you could shorten the name Jaclyn to be Jinx? Just an idea.

    Sapphira is a nice name, but that's always going to make me think of that dragon from the Eragon books...if you're going with the jewel theme, what about the name Krystal? (Feel free to adjust the spelling!)Or just look up some different gemstones, and there are plenty to change into fun names. (Randomly I thought maybe the name Kara would work...)

    Happy writing!
    <3 Seana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seana,
      I do like Jaclyn to be shortened to Jinx. Thanks. I didn't really like Jenevieve to start, but I wasn't sure what else. You're right about the dragon, totally forgot about that! I'll do some other gemstone. Thanks so much.
      ~AJ

      Delete
  2. First thing: no. Never get a name that fits the character; make the name fit. Does your name fit your personality? Look up the definition. My name sure doesn't fit my personality; my name means protection or protector, and I can't even protect my characters. The times are long gone when parents named their kids after what they planned for their lives. Find a name that works, not a name that fits. If what works is Sharon, go for it. If Hazel works, do that instead. Don't look for names that fit because that's a dead giveaway that you're writing a stereotypical middle grade fiction.

    But, of course, I don't want to dishearten you by this. Good luck finding the names.

    Liam, Head Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam,
      You're right. Thanks. My first name (Alexandra) means a defender of men. Not really me. The characters will change throughout the story, because I'm not sure if I like them right now. The weird thing is I've never tried to do what I did before, I've always picked names and then made them into a person. I have no idea why I did it this time. Weird. Anywho, thanks for the advice, I will remember it probably for forever, cause that's just the way it is.
      ~AJ

      Delete
    2. Very glad it helped. I feel as though occasionally my refusal to use smiley faces in writing makes me seem too serious when critiquing someone, and I didn't want you to feel crushed or anything.

      Liam, Head Phil

      Delete
    3. Liam,
      I'm glad you don't use smiley faces in your writing, someone has to be different, right? You didn't crush me, do not fear. It will take a lot more than a serious person to crush me. Thanks for caring, though.
      ~AJ

      Delete
  3. I think it's cool you're looking up names. But I do agree with the person above me. You should make the name fit. But, you know, if you like what you've done, go for it! Also, maybe think about creating a name? I've created a name for a girl in one of my short stories. Ammarus was her name.
    Just another little suggestion--possibly write a few pages labeling A, B, C, D, etc. for different characters that don't have names yet, and when you finally think up one, then go and name them. Don't think too hard!(:

    --AbaGayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AbaGayle,
      I know what you're saying. I totally love your idea of making up a name, but whenever I've tried it, it never works. I will possibly try it again, maybe not for this story, but for another. Though, I prefer to make up a nickname and put a known name behind it. Thanks for your suggestions.
      ~AJ

      Delete