Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Divergent

Hello People of Earth and Citizens of Mars,

Your favorite AJ here. Well, maybe not your favorite, but do tell me truthfully, how many AJ's do you really know? Hmm? Not many? Didn't think so. Anywho, back to what I was talking about. Book review #? I don't count them. Today I'm doing a book review on a AWESOME book called (drum roll please) Divergent, by Veronica Roth.

Here's my review to your reading pleasure:

Front Cover
To sum it all up: There are five different factions in the city: Candor (the honest), Erudite (the smart and intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Abnegation (the selfless), and Dauntless (the brave and daring). When a person turns 16 they go through the choosing ceremony, where they pick which faction they want to be apart of. They take aptitude tests to see which faction they would fit in with the best, but that doesn't have to affect their choice.

Beatrice Prior is from Abnegation, but she never quite felt like she fit in with them. She takes the aptitude test and is told that she is Divergent, meaning she fits into more than one faction. The thing is, the leaders don't like Divergents, they want them dead. She has to hide that fact from everybody or it'll mean her life.

She has to choose what faction she wants to join. Stay in her own or change? She makes her choice and changes her name to Tris. Meeting Four, Christina, Al, Will, Peter, and many others, she fights to find out where she belongs.

What I thought: I absolutely loved it. I couldn't put it down. I was done with it in a day and a half. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Tris, I wanted to see if I was right about who Four really was, I wanted Peter kicked out, I wanted to know where Tris decided she fit in, and I wanted to find out if the government and leaders would hunt down the Divergents and kill them. I also NEED to get the second book.

Genre: Dystopian (futuristic)

Setting: Chicago, but it's no longer called that. It's pretty much an abandoned city that was taken over by the people. Lake Michigan is the marsh/swamp that they talk about, which kinda made me sad that it wasn't a lake anymore. Navy Pier is a broken down, cleaned out, place. The John Hancock building is crumbling, but the twin lights on top of what used to be called the Sears tower still blink/shine, but now that building is called the Hub. 

Number of pages: 487

Who's it for: Middle School

Warnings: It's a tad violent, not much worse than the Hunger Games I don't think.

My Star Rating: 5 stars


Well, that's all for today. Just so you know, it's part of a trilogy.
Bye bye.
Love and zip-lining, (read the book to find out)
~AJ

Song: No More by Beckah Shae

2 comments:

  1. This sort of sounds like The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann, which I loved. I just might read this one. Nice review! (:
    <3 Seana
    PS: Did you ever decide if you and your friends would be willing to create a guest post for my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, Seana, that it's not much like the Unwanteds. No magic. I think it's a little more like the Hunger Games.
      ~AJ

      Delete