Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Curse of the Spider King


Hello, Hello, Hello,

I feel like I haven't posted in like forever but that alas cannot be true. Well, maybe it is. Dreadfully sorry. With school starting up, I was all messed up and posted less. I feel awful, but I can't redo it. Sadly, Josh and Carter haven't perfected their time machine. Sigh. The last time we tried it we sent Josh's cat back in time and sadly Mr. Fluffy is stuck somewhere in possibly the 17th century. So sad, we miss you Mr Fluffy. Anywho, I read a wonderful book that I think everyone will love. Seriously. It's by a Christian author, but it's really cool because he doesn't just throw the religion stuff out there. It's subtle since the Elves worship God and stuff. Anyway cool book. Somebody suggested it to me a while ago and I finally read it. Here's the review

Book: Curse of the Spider King

Authors: Wayne Thomas Batson, Christopher Hopper

To sum it all up:  The seven elf lords ruled Allyra for hundreds of thousands of years. Then the Spider King's forces attacked the city. At the time all seven lords had small children and were celebrating their births. The Drefids (creepy assassins for the Spider King) kidnapped the babies and took them to their land. The city of the elves was demolished and the vast civilization of elves was reduced to quite a few. Those few escaped through the tunnels behind the thrones. The Drefids who captured the baby rulers had a problem. Those who killed those children before they had gained their powers would be cursed to eternal misery and stuff like that, but if you disobeyed the Spider King you would be cursed or killed or both. The Drefids were stuck between the Curse of the Spider King and the Elf Lord's Curses. They came up with a solution, send the young elf lords to Earth, where they can grow up thinking they're human and not be a threat to the Spider King.

Book Cover
About 13 years later Kat, Jett, Jimmy, Tommy, Autumn, Kiri Lee, and Johnny are living on earth, thinking they're normal teens, but they are far from normal. They start to be followed by suspicious people and start seeing lots of strange things. They all get given old books that are handwritten and beautifully written, and when you read it the story comes to life. Literally. Slowly, they start to find out their powers and who they truly are with the help of some teachers and close friends.

Will the Spider Kings forces get to the kids before the elves can? Will they be able to make it back to Allyra alive or even at all?

What I thought: 
I absolutely adored it. I love fantasy and a little violence. (There wasn't much don't worry in case you were) It tells the story switching from kid to kid, but it's not switching who tells the story, since it's in 3rd person, so that's nice because sometimes that's kinda confusing to me, I don't know about you. Anyway, I wanted to know the powers everyone got. I really wanted to know why Jett had purple eyes and Kat had blue skin, I found that out. I wanted to know who the creepy guys were that were following everybody. And I guess I wanted to know how they were going to come together. 

Genre: 
fantasy

Setting: It's in a couple different places. Like all seven lords live different places (minus Autumn and Johnny) and the portal is in Scotland. There's also Allyra for bits and pieces of it.


# of Pages: 
384

Who's it for: Anybody, well. I kinda think 4th grade or older. I mean if someone too young reads it, it'll scare them.

Warnings: Zero. Zip. Nada.

Other books with it:  Book Two: Venom and Song,  Haha, I found a title of a book three: The Tide of Unmaking, yay that makes me happy that I found that. Is it out yet though? That's my question.

My Star Rating: 4.7

Oh please read it my dear friends, it's wonderful. I promise you'll love it. That's all I have today.
You're all great! 
Love and pointy ears,
~AJ

Book for next time, probably: The Hobbit 
James 1:3- "The light shines into the darkness but the darkness has not understood."

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...I've got to admit, I'm dubious. Not because of your love of it, but because of another reader I know well. She often reads books and passes them on to me, and I to her. She said that there were too many plot twists and too much characters to keep your head on straight...but we shall see. Another friend, Gemma, read it and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool. I think you should read it, it's real good. No comment about The Unwanteds this time? Haha teasing, kinda. :)
      ~AJ

      Delete